Thursday 4 March 2010

Thing 13

Thing 13

As I am still listening to the Waldstein, I am skipping ahead to Thing 13. I have actually used YouTube today and I'm happy that I can do Things 11 and 12 pretty quickly next Thursday, when I next have the opportunity to be in the office. So I am skipping ahead to Facebook, as I am pretty comfortable with this.

So, Lincoln Library has a fan page - must get it added to the Web 2.0 Directory. This was actually set up for us by one our students who had emailed us to ask for one and we didn't do anything about it, as the Librarian does not use Facebook and was concerned that if I left and she had a wait for a replacement, it would be yet another thing to update and maintain. (We are a two person Library). When the student left, he handed over the administration of the page to me. It contains some truly lovely photos of the Library and details of the term-time opening hours and links to our recently updated website, which now enables them to do anything they might need to or to find out how to do it (we hope). I'd like to be able to transfer some of this onto the facebook page, but I'm not sure how to go about it or whether it's worth the effort as I doubt once they've become fans that members actually look at the page and as notifications don't reach newsfeeds from fan pages, there's not much chance of them noticing if I do.

I would be keen to see what other Libraries' experience is though and to learn from them.

1 comment:

  1. I've found with pages on Facebook that some things do turn up on newsfeeds and some things not - status updates and notes definitely do show up so they're a great way to stick things under people's noses. If you make updates to the page, you could always write a quick status saying there's new stuff there to encourage people to take a look!

    ReplyDelete