Friday 12 March 2010

Thing 15

Thing 15

Just reading through the Twitter terms of service makes me feel uncomfortable. So, they can reuse anything you write, but if anything bad happens because of what you write, that's your fault. I have heard of "crawling", but what, pray, is "scraping"?!

So, I have added a Bio, tweeted my sister and am following her, a Cambridge Librarian who was on my MA course with me (found via
http://wefollow.com/twitter/librarian), another Oxford College Librarian (found via http://tweepml.org/100-British-Librarians-on-Twitter/) , Nuffield College Library, the Bodleian, Google Books and Stephen Fry. I replied to someone's tweet and posted my own about 23 Things. I have also added a photo to my profile. Where to next?

I am generally not too happy about Twitter...

1 comment:

  1. Those kind of terms of service are pretty standard on all these kind of sites - you'll find similar on facebook, flickr etc too. It just means that they can display what you write on the web and it can be distributed eg into your followers twitter streams - if they didn't say you gave them permission to do that then the whole site wouldn't work!

    Scraping is similar to crawling - it means that twitter and various 3rd party apps can take the content on the site and reuse it eg in the streams you see for particular hashtags. They're 'scraping' the data from the site, basically.

    As ever though, whatever the T&Cs say, you have ultimate control over what you choose to say and what information you choose to disclose, so if in doubt, don't tweet it!

    If you're worried, you can set your tweets to private if you prefer, so only people you accept as followers can see them - it's under 'settings'.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete