Wednesday 31 March 2010

Thing 22

Thing 22

I have added the My Del.icio.us gadget to my iGoogle page, which then made me rearrange the layout of the page and also learn how to minimise some of the gadgets so I can see most of them at a glance without having to scroll them and can put the daily interest changing things like Optical Illusion of the Day, Word of the Day, Picture of the Day and Weather at the top and reference gadgets like Wikipedia, Trainline and Translate further down the screen so I can refer to them when I need them without them being in the way.

From Editor's Picks I added a Literary Quotation of the Day, which may or may not interest me depending on the kind of quotations that come up. Looking through the Library gadgets (for some reason the search term "Library" didn't bring anything up, "Libraries" did at the second attempt, despite some of them being called "Library x"), I can see a use for the Library Accounts management gadget and if I were in a school or public library, I would definitely add the Children's Book of the Day gadget. The Librarians' Book Revoogle provides access to book reviews written by Librarians, Library Staff and Users and could be useful, but is the kind of resource I'd want to go to when I wish to use it, rather than flash up new stuff everytime I log in which may not be relevant. I am Quite Tempted by the Libraries Photos gadget though...

I am amazed how many libraries have a gadget to connect through to their OPACS, mainly American. The Google Books gadget to create your own Library and reviews and get personalised recommendations is tempting, but I think another distraction. If I wanted to buy into the whole Google experience, it would be worth adding! I amused by the Escape the Library game.

Gave in and added the Libraries Photos gadget.

No comments:

Post a Comment